Fight for the Right: the Birmingham Suffragettes is a history project funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. Two groups of students from Kings Norton Girls’ School and Waverley School have looked at archive material about the different ways of campaigning and protesting by women who wanted to gain the vote. They then used that material as inspiration for a short film which focuses on the activities of the suffragettes and their more peaceful counterparts, the suffragists. While a few of the young people involved had some previous knowledge of the suffragettes, very little was known about activities that took place in Birmingham: Fight for the Right aims to change that. Although primarily a history project, these two diverse communities of young women have also explored voting, politics and women’s rights today.
- 122,270 hits
Tag CloudAdult Education Architecture Archives Archives & Collections Arts Birmingham Birmingham City Council Birmingham Collection Birmingham History Black History Black History Month Books Boulton and Watt British Library Buildings Business records Cadbury Children Christmas Community archives Connecting Histories Conservation Curiosities Early Fine Print Collection Education Entertainment Ephemera Exhibition Exhibitions Explore Your Archive Explore Your Archives Family history First World War Friends of Birmingham Archives and Heritage (FoBAH) Gardening Genealogy Heritage Research Area Heritage Sector Industrial Revolution Industry International Women's Day Irish community James Watt Judaism Leisure LGBT LGBT History Month Libraries Library of Birmingham Literature Local History Music New Additions Newspapers Oral History Outreach and Education Parks Photographs Photography Quakers Refugees Religion Shakespeare Social History Sport St. Patrick's Day Theatre The Religious Society of Friends Transport Voting War Warwickshire West Midlands Women Worcestershire
- High Street, Sutton Coldfield in 1951 [WK/S17/223] #PhotoFriday https://t.co/xoixXlwgj8 1 day ago
- Another chance to attend one of our FREE @LibraryofBham familiarisation sessions covering our maps, electoral &,par… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 days ago
- RT @LibraryofBham: Library of Birmingham update: due to a combination of travel disruption and continuing inclement weather we will close a… 3 days ago
- The Archives & Collections reading room (Wolfson Centre) will close at 4:30pm tomorrow (Tuesday 12/12/2017) due to… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 days ago
- RT @LibraryofBham: There will be a 'LoB Express' only service today between 9am-5pm. This means that the ground floor only will be open and… 5 days ago