Fight for the Right: the Birmingham Suffragettes is a history project funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. Two groups of students from Kings Norton Girls’ School and Waverley School have looked at archive material about the different ways of campaigning and protesting by women who wanted to gain the vote. They then used that material as inspiration for a short film which focuses on the activities of the suffragettes and their more peaceful counterparts, the suffragists. While a few of the young people involved had some previous knowledge of the suffragettes, very little was known about activities that took place in Birmingham: Fight for the Right aims to change that. Although primarily a history project, these two diverse communities of young women have also explored voting, politics and women’s rights today.
- 106,549 hits
Tag CloudAccessions Architecture Archives Art Arts Birmingham Birmingham City Council Birmingham Collection Birmingham History Black History Black History Month Books Boulton and Watt Buildings Business records Cadbury Children Christmas Connecting Histories Conservation Council Records Curiosities Disability History Month Early Fine Print Collection Entertainment Ephemera Exhibition Exhibitions Explore Your Archive Explore Your Archives Family history First World War Folk Songs Friends of Birmingham Archives and Heritage (FoBAH) Gardening Genealogy Heritage Sector Industrial Revolution Industry International Women's Day Irish community Judaism Leisure LGBT LGBT History Month Libraries Library history Library of Birmingham Literature Local History Music New Additions Newspapers Oral History Outreach and Education Parks Photographs Quakers Refugees Religion Shakespeare Sir Benjamin Stone Social History Social Media Sport St. Patrick's Day Theatre The Religious Society of Friends Transport Voting War Warwickshire West Midlands Women Worcestershire
- RT @WomensHistBham: In conversation about life in Balsall Heath for women in the 1970s @BMAGcurators https://t.co/O4qUuGt3El 1 day ago
- RT @DudleyArchives: Come along to Dudley Archives tomorrow at 1pm for the official book launch of ‘RMS Titanic’ and a presentation by the a… 1 day ago
- RT @sianllroberts: One of my favourites too @TheIronRoom the Sparkhill Association/Molly Barrow archives is a great collection https://t.co… 1 day ago
- One of our favourites for #PhotoFriday this week: MS 1914/1/10/35, two children painting either side of an easel, M… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- Want to know more about #Birmingham's early #Quaker Meeting Houses?! Then see our blog: ow.ly/KFcH30a9BkH 3 days ago