Fight for the Right: the Birmingham Suffragettes is a history project funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. Two groups of students from Kings Norton Girls’ School and Waverley School have looked at archive material about the different ways of campaigning and protesting by women who wanted to gain the vote. They then used that material as inspiration for a short film which focuses on the activities of the suffragettes and their more peaceful counterparts, the suffragists. While a few of the young people involved had some previous knowledge of the suffragettes, very little was known about activities that took place in Birmingham: Fight for the Right aims to change that. Although primarily a history project, these two diverse communities of young women have also explored voting, politics and women’s rights today.
- 118,348 hits
Tag CloudAdult Education Architecture Archives Archives & Collections Arts Birmingham Birmingham City Council Birmingham Collection Birmingham History Black History Black History Month Books Boulton and Watt British Library Buildings Business records Cadbury Children Christmas Connecting Histories Conservation Curiosities Early Fine Print Collection Education Entertainment Ephemera Exhibition Exhibitions Explore Your Archive Explore Your Archives Family history First World War Folk Songs Friends of Birmingham Archives and Heritage (FoBAH) Gardening Genealogy Heritage Research Area Heritage Sector Industrial Revolution Industry International Women's Day Irish community James Watt Judaism Leisure LGBT LGBT History Month Libraries Library of Birmingham Literature Local History Music New Additions Newspapers Oral History Outreach and Education Parks Photographs Photography Quakers Refugees Religion Shakespeare Social History Sport St. Patrick's Day Theatre The Religious Society of Friends Transport Voting War Warwickshire West Midlands Women Worcestershire
- RT @ShirestoneAcad: Congratulations to my talented writers in Year 5 and 6 for winning ! @LibraryofBham @TheIronRoom @ElliotFndtn https://… 14 hours ago
- Aspiring young authors writing fictional short stories using @LibraryofBham #Archives! #ArchivesAsInspiration ow.ly/3pa830fUrRc 14 hours ago
- RT @NewmanHistory: The Second Chris Upton Memorial Lecture is on 6 Nov @TheIronRoom. To get those last-minute tickets go to https://t.co/gd… 18 hours ago
- It's #librariesweek. To celebrate here's a photo of the #book exchange service in action in 1929! WK/B11/1004… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- New Street Station, #Birmingham c.1947, reconstruction works being undertaken at station. [WK/B11/1480] #PhotoFriday https://t.co/dY0VdRb7s3 3 days ago