Fight for the Right: the Birmingham Suffragettes is a history project funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. Two groups of students from Kings Norton Girls’ School and Waverley School have looked at archive material about the different ways of campaigning and protesting by women who wanted to gain the vote. They then used that material as inspiration for a short film which focuses on the activities of the suffragettes and their more peaceful counterparts, the suffragists. While a few of the young people involved had some previous knowledge of the suffragettes, very little was known about activities that took place in Birmingham: Fight for the Right aims to change that. Although primarily a history project, these two diverse communities of young women have also explored voting, politics and women’s rights today.
- 115,257 hits
Tag CloudArchitecture Archives Archives & Collections Arts Birmingham Birmingham City Council Birmingham Collection Birmingham History Black History Black History Month Books Boulton and Watt British Library Buildings Business records Cadbury Children Christmas Connecting Histories Conservation Curiosities Early Fine Print Collection Education Entertainment Ephemera Exhibition Exhibitions Explore Your Archive Explore Your Archives Family history First World War Folk Songs Friends of Birmingham Archives and Heritage (FoBAH) Gardening Genealogy Heritage Research Area Heritage Sector Industrial Revolution Industry International Women's Day Irish community James Watt Judaism Leisure LGBT LGBT History Month Libraries Library of Birmingham Literature Local History Music New Additions Newspapers Oral History Outreach and Education Parks Photographs Photography Quakers Refugees Religion Shakespeare Sir Benjamin Stone Social History Sport St. Patrick's Day Theatre The Religious Society of Friends Transport Voting War Warwickshire West Midlands Women Worcestershire
- Ever wanted to know what the Conservator gets up to in the #Archives @LibraryofBham? Find out: ow.ly/hvZw30emjZQ @BHeritageWeek 15 hours ago
- This looks great @WomensHistBham! ow.ly/qVqI30ezhlt 21 hours ago
- RT @elaineamitchell: Original back wall of Jones & Clark conservatory @Weston_Park. Finally saw on recent visit. Rest long gone but order r… 1 day ago
- The Wolfson Centre is closed w/b 04/09/17. For details see ow.ly/ZnFF304BxiA Lots on in @BHeritageWeek tho! ow.ly/DK6P30epIJ8 1 day ago
- This week's guest blog features our rich #Cervantes Collection! It includes the 1620 Don Quixote!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago