Fight for the Right: the Birmingham Suffragettes is a history project funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. Two groups of students from Kings Norton Girls’ School and Waverley School have looked at archive material about the different ways of campaigning and protesting by women who wanted to gain the vote. They then used that material as inspiration for a short film which focuses on the activities of the suffragettes and their more peaceful counterparts, the suffragists. While a few of the young people involved had some previous knowledge of the suffragettes, very little was known about activities that took place in Birmingham: Fight for the Right aims to change that. Although primarily a history project, these two diverse communities of young women have also explored voting, politics and women’s rights today.
- 108,693 hits
Tag CloudArchitecture Archives Archives & Collections Art Arts Birmingham Birmingham City Council Birmingham Collection Birmingham History Black History Black History Month Books Boulton and Watt Buildings Business records Cadbury Children Christmas Connecting Histories Conservation Council Records Curiosities Disability History Month Early Fine Print Collection Entertainment Ephemera Exhibition Exhibitions Explore Your Archive Explore Your Archives Family history First World War Folk Songs Friends of Birmingham Archives and Heritage (FoBAH) Gardening Genealogy Heritage Sector Industrial Revolution Industry International Women's Day Irish community James Watt Judaism Leisure LGBT LGBT History Month Libraries Library of Birmingham Literature Local History Music New Additions Newspapers Oral History Outreach and Education Parks Photographs Quakers Refugees Religion Shakespeare Sir Benjamin Stone Social History Sport St. Patrick's Day Theatre The Religious Society of Friends Transport Voting War Warwickshire West Midlands Wolfson Centre for Archival Research Women Worcestershire
- For #PhotoFriday this week, it's an early #Quaker Meeting house - this one is in Selly Oak [MS 1452/2/119] For more… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Enjoyed showing Arts Council England Designation Panel the wonderful variety of our #Designated Collections today!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 days ago
- Don't miss this week's guest blog re the weird and wonderful things moved by sea in the 18th century! ow.ly/vbt130bbbId 3 days ago
- The Wolfson Centre for Archival Research is closed this week - find out what why here: ow.ly/pZt030b0qkP 5 days ago
- Happy Birthday Shakespeare! Find out more about the @LibraryofBham #Shakespeare Collection here: ow.ly/gPzi30b4Hob 6 days ago